Garden Share collective May - better late than never!

Here we are already halfway through the month and still no veggie garden catchup.  Hubby sent me a photo of the veggie garden to show that he was watering as requested, so I thought since I have one photo I will be able to give you a run down of how things are going in my veggie patch.

It is most unusual for us not to have any rain, and I must admit that the garden has been struggling. I just never seem to find the time to water. Luckily the fact that I now have quite a bit of shade from the Barbados cherry the soil is not sitting in the hot sun and those shady areas seem to be doing just fine.   The long green beans are going crazy and have gone right over the top of the Barbados cherry.  There are lots of beans that I miss and then only notice once they are dry and wrinkly.  Oh well I now have plenty of seeds to share around!  They are pollinated by green ants which can cause a nasty bite, and so it is not always pleasant picking them and avoiding the ants.  I guess I can always pop a couple into a jug and make lemonade - that is a bush tucker trick in this area!
The okra has also taken off and I have three bushes producing although the very large one is winding down.  I will save the seeds of those as well as they were a great vegetable to have in the garden once they got themselves established.  I have English spinach in the shade and it is doing well - I love the little leaves in salads, and this looks like a great variety - it has not bolted.  Also rocket - still baby at the moment, but I am thinning the bed out so that some of the plants can get more established - I just scattered a whole bunch of seeds.  I did the same with the tatsoi but they all died :(.   Two different type of eggplant are still doing well in the wicking beds.  I have a couple of cucumber coming along and of course my volunteer tomato cropping up everywhere.  The rosella are starting to flower and the plants are now so big and overgrown I cant wait to harvest them so that I have a bit more room in the garden.  I will dry them all for tea, although I was thinking I might try preserving a few in syrup as they look so pretty in drinks.  You can buy tiny bottles of them for 10.00 so think I can make them much cheaper than that!
Once the rosella are harvested I will plant snow peas against that fence, so that should be perfect timing as they don't like the heat.  I also need to plant out some lettuces and might go with seedlings as the seeds are struggling without any rain.  Sorry I don't have more photos, but better late than never!  Thanks Lizzie for hosting the Garden Share Collective again and do check here for the rest of the lovely gardens that are featured this month.  I am too late to add my link this month.

Comments

  1. During this time of year it is unusual for us to not have rain either. But we haven't had more than a short one to wet the surface. I noticed my bok choy wilting so started watering. Usually I only have to water starting in June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Daphne,
      Yes often i get busy with other things and then notice that I really really need to water.

      Delete
  2. It's been the opposite down here. April was very wet. Everything's green and the tanks are full. I saw though that they have predicted an El Nino pattern for the rest of the year so we won't be getting much more rain if that's true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, everyone else seems to have got plenty of rain. El Nino does seem to turn everything topsy turvy.

      Delete
  3. We didn't have any March/April showers either and my garden is in an awful dry state.
    My lawn...what lawn? is all brown and crispy.
    Thank goodness for a good hubby to water while you're away....you've got a lot of edibles thriving and will be ready for you when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia, I am happy with the fact that my food forest is actually becoming a part of the structure of my garden.

      Delete
  4. You are so lucky to be able to grow rosella bushes, they are such pretty fruits. I have never tried them in tea, it must be delightful. Your garden is looking splendid, as always. What is a Barbados cherry?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am exhausted reading about everything growing in your little patch of paradise :-) I am in the process of pulling out the spent summer crops; it's looking very bare compared to your lush tropical patch!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Popular posts from this blog

Up-cycling fabrics

Slow stitching and creative mending

Walking the Camino