Happy plants

At some stage I talked about how a bit more white in the garden would be nice.  I think that was before I put in the path, and the garden had seemed rather deep and dark.   I saw these lovely white and green caladiums  at the market and popped them into the garden.  Then I forgot about them - well it seems they were just having a little rest,  because they are back.  I love how you see the veins, and how the white seems to pop right out at you. .  

 One of the reasons that I started this blog in the first place was to be able to look back and see when things flowered or fruited.  All the caladiums are looking so lovely right now, so they must like the wet season.   Oh!  it is all a guessing game.  Like this bush that I purchased to attract Ulysses butterflies.  I have never noticed it flowering before, and look how the flowers come right out of the branch.  Isn't that lovely?  I am continually amazed and awed by nature.
 Another thing I never tire of in the garden is the fronds of the tree fern - how they slowly unfurl.  I saw David Attenborough's show on tropical plants (what a lovely show - I was in heaven)  and he had a time release of tree fern fronds unfolding.  Magical.  From this original one I have a few more tree ferns popping up in other places in the garden - the spores must have been spread around in the compost.  Yes of course lovely plants, you can stay and make yourselves welcome - the more the merrier!
These common peace lillies grew too big for their pot and so I spread them out long the fence - their flowers are also adding a bit of brightness to a dull corner.
Sometimes I am surprised how well certain plants adapt to my little microclimate.  Often they need a bit of time to settle in and then I will notice that they seem quite settled and happy.
Of course that also makes this gardener very happy.

Comments

  1. Love your garden.
    Everytime I look at it - its totally new and very interesting.
    My caladium merged out after I reset the soil from most of the pots. And they are somehow doing strong these few months.
    I guess they do go dormant time to time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. James,
      I am glad your caladiums are doing well too. I think mine were dormant for way too long - I am glad that they have awakened!

      Delete
  2. The white caladiums are some of my favorite. They add a nice mix to the green in the background. I am enjoying mine until they freeze back. Hope you have a fun day planned out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rohrerbot,
      they do seem to pop right out at you. I did have a very productive weekend, thank you!

      Delete
  3. Looking of your white caladiums, it remind me of mine. They use to grow like weeds in my garden, then suddenly they disappeared without a trace at all. Looks like they have an extended dormant period. The flowers emerging from the stems are like the fig plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stiletto,
      Maybe you are right - I had even forgotten where I had planted them and thought they had not survived.

      Delete
  4. Love your peace lilies. We can only grow them in the cool shade here. I have been seeking the larger leaf variety for years, however the price is outrageous. Hopefully one of these days I will find a nursery selling them in a smaller cheaper pot that agrees with my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia,
      I had been given them as pot plants and wasn't sure that they would survive out in the garden. They get quite a lot of sun and it does seem to have burnt their leaves a bit. I have the smaller and larger leafed ones - I think they just appeared one day in some compost- hope the same happens to you!

      Delete
  5. White definitely does brighten up dark shady areas. Are your caladiums just beginning there? Our season for them is ending. You are so right about ferns being magical...truly amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan,
      Yes I do enjoy reading blogs from your part of the world as it helps me to prepare for the next season.

      Delete
  6. Peace lilies are easy to propagate. Just pull off a small clump from the plant and repot. I often divided mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Audrey,
      Mine are doing much better in the ground than they did in pots, but you are right, they are easy.

      Delete
  7. Your white caladium is brilliant! The white ones are the lone bloomers after our flood so I very much appreciate them! I like the veins too...really interesting! Like you, I marvel at the fern fronds just uncurling. Your capture is wonderful! And I'm jealous of your peace lily success. I'm going to give it a go, I think...you've inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimberly,
      Yes I saw your photos, and glad things are recovering. I presume this latest hurricane is just whizzing past you. Oh yes do try, they are very rewarding...

      Delete
  8. Dearest Africanaussie,
    Your caladiums are really gorgeous. Yes, lovely mixture of white and green♡♡♡
    Isn't that an amazing fern, I never thought of them so cute p;)
    Thank you very much for sharing these pictures of your marvelous plants☆☆☆ They must be enjoying the spring weather, my friend(^_^)彡☆
    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miyako,
      Everything grows very quickly at this time of year - so most of my gardening work is cutting things back!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Popular posts from this blog

Up-cycling fabrics

Slow stitching and creative mending

Walking the Camino