It all began with harvesting my jicama, I had popped a few seeds in the ground alongside the fence before the wet season. The plant insisted on climbing through the fence and flowering on the other side.... and in order to grow bigger tubers these flowers and pods have to continually be pruned off. So on Sunday I decided to harvest the jicama and remove the vines. The jicama are pretty puny, and I found out were quite hard to harvest behind the other plants so I wont be planting there again. Not sure if they will shoot up again from remaining roots.
This has left the fence very bare.
I had an old wire wastepaper basket (useless in the office, as everything falls out the side) and I put a crucifix orchid in there and hung it under my thermometer. That helps to make the wall a little less bare in that area.
I realise that I have been just adding plants in this area without much of a plan. The only plan being to hide the fence and have some greenery. I tend to put plants here that like a bit more sunlight, and the persian shield has been doing really well. The thing is that between the jicama on one side and the persian shield on the other my little madevilla vine has been smothered. The base of the plant is very brown and woody...
I cut back the persian shield to allow a little more light in and watered with some seaweed foliar feed. Further up the branches there are little patches of greenery, so hopefully this fills out.
The stephanotis was also engulfed in the jicama vine and hopefully that too will have a new lease on life. Right now it is just one long leggy stalk. And that is the whole reason I got impatient and planted the jicama there, maybe at the expense of these two vines.