Slow stitching and creative mending

 I purchased another class from Craft school of oz!   I was inspired after doing a couple of free classes learning Shashiko stitching and decided to venture more into this meditative method of stitching.   I have been re-purposing unsold garments to sell in the op shop instead of sending them to landfill.  This made a white ripped pair of shorts into a more interesting piece before I turned it into a bag.  




For Christmas I enjoyed making some little needle cases, it really is quite meditative to sew random little stitches.



I tend to look at descriptions of crafts, and then run with them and make them my own.  I love the idea of sashiko stitching, but some of it seems quite rigid.   I have been playing around with a few samples, and then thought that would be an ideal way to personalize some of the phone bags I have been thinking of making.  I didnt have a washable marker, so marked out a sort of grid with my tailors chalk.  Luckily this fabric had lines as well.  

A friend had given me some lovely sari silk, so these are going to look very pretty with that as a liner.  I am now toying with the idea of stitching a yolk to make a silk dress or top.  I am really enjoying making lots of different projects and learning different techniques.
Do you stick with the same craft, or tend to veer off in other directions as I do?


 

Comments

  1. These are lovely. I have not done a lot of craft over recent years but am thinking of returning to it because I find the repetitive nature of it very soothing. I bought some wool this week to weave some scarves -- my crafts tend to be knitting, embroidery and patchwork, weaving is a new one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very soothing, If I try to meditate sitting cross legged and saying oooom, I only last a few minutes, but put a craft in my hands, and I lose track of time for hours! oh I love the idea of weaving!

      Delete
  2. The jeans bag looks nice with that stitching :) I've done many crafts but don't seem to stick to small things. I've been enjoying upcycling furniture lately, although it's time consuming and takes ages to sell the pieces.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working at the op shop means I have lots of materials available. I just donate them to the church so I dont have the worry of trying to sell them! Marketing and selling is not my forte at all.

      Delete
  3. I tend to experiment with different crafts and can't seem to stick to one. We did slow stitching at one of our simple living workshops a few years ago. Some people are very creative. I like what you have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I often veer off in other directions, which was fun when I was doing crafternoons, as every month it was something new.. I love your posts on the simple living workshops.

      Delete
    2. are you still blogging? The link to your blog no longer works. :(

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Popular posts from this blog

Up-cycling fabrics

Walking the Camino