The eternal microgreen quest

Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while know that I have been on a quest to grow consistently healthy happy microgreens.  During the wet season, anything I leave outside in the weather is going to flood, get attacked by bugs, fungus and all manner of other afflictions.
I tried growing microgreens in the tray from MrFothergills, which only grow in water, no soil or soil type medium.  Standing water in the tropics is calling for disaster, attracting mosquito larvae at the drop of a hat.  I tried it again with coir seed raising mix, but I think in this climate I need drainage.
MrFothergills kindly sent me a multi layered seed sprouter and I have been enjoying sprouts with regularity, but wanted more....
I purchased some different microgreen seeds from the seed collection, and tried them outside under the shade cloth, but it is already too hot and humid, but then I thought to try them in the greenhouse. and aha!  this may be the answer.   Look at my snowpeas - they are no longer microgreens, more like young plants, and I love them like this in wraps or salads.


The greenhouse is good for keeping the plants in a  controlled environment,

I dont know why I didn't think of this sooner.
Little plastic containers that apples and pears come in are great for growing  microgreens, and those that come with a lid are even better. as they create a more humid atmosphere.  I am trying hard not to buy plastic but these days everything comes in plastic, so I guess the next best thing is to make some use of the containers.


Over the weekend I prepared some boxes with half coir mix and half compost.  That only needs to be about 5cm deep as they will be harvested within a week or two.  Spread the seeds fairly thickly, but you dont want them to be on top of each other.  I press a chux cloth onto the top and this makes sure that the seeds have good contact with the soil medium and that they stay nice and moist.  I have also read that the growing seeds like to have a bit of resistance as they grow because they anchor better in the soil.  These rocket babies are only two days old. and at this stage they are uncovered.  Tatsoi takes a bit longer.




Spray with water up to twice a day - depending how wet they are - you want them moist but not wet. You can pick them as soon as the little leaves come up and those will be true microgreens, but I harvest them whenever I need them for salads or wraps and sometimes they can get to a fair size.  When done, tip the soil and seeds onto the ground in your veggie patch, and you will often have plants growing up out of that.  Microgreens and seed starting all in one!  

Comments

  1. I did try to grow microgreens once with no success as I was inspired by Anne Gibson's blog https://themicrogardener.com/ to give it a try but I should try again and persevere. It would probably be easier to grow them here rather than where you live as it isn't wet and muggy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find that the main problem I have is too much moisture, I have seen that blog, it is so inspiring.

      Delete
  2. You are very determined ! I'm glad you were able to come up with a solution. Most people where we live grow tomatoes outside but some people grow them in a greenhouse so that if we have a very wet spell the plants won't get wilt which will quickly kill the plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny,
      Too much moisture can be a real problem, and I do find that keeping things in the greenhouse can control that a bit.

      Delete
  3. Good luck with your microgreens Gillian, never tried growing them, but it might be too hot in Perth too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. a lady at our markets grows tons of them under shadecloth. I think sunflower and rocket grow very well in the summer heat.

      Delete
  4. Your sprouts looks great especially the snow peas. I just started eating pea shoots in salads and they're truly lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting on the peas shoots....must have a go at it.....aloha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Popular posts from this blog

Up-cycling fabrics

Slow stitching and creative mending

Walking the Camino