A memory quilt from my Moms fabric painted cloths

As you know, I really enjoyed making the two memory quilts for my two grandchildren. Here is the one I made for  my granddaughter , and I do not have a photo of my grandsons quilt.  That will have to be rectified when I go over in May.
 I was left with a few table runners and tray cloths that my Mom had painted.  She did that later on in life at the retirement village where she lived.  Such a lovely lady did the classes, and I remember how she included everyone and worked with them according to their abilities.  My Mom made some lovely tablecloths and place mats that I use often.  I really wasn't using these.
My older daughter said she would not mind a light summer quilt, so I laid out all the bits of tray cloths and some other quilting fabrics I had lying around.  At one stage I had a bit of a swap here on the blog, exchanging fabric squares so that we could all make a "blog hug quilt"  I never got enough to make  a quilt, but those pieces have been stashed in with all my other fabrics, so this was a good time to use them up.  I knew at this stage that I needed to add a plain border or something, some of the colors were very different.  I asked my daughter what her favorite color was.  Green she said - I would never had guessed that - just as well I asked. 


I came up with a sort of plan, and worked out how much of the plain fabric I would need.  I have always liked narrow strips of different fabrics and managed to gather together enough for three strips.


I purchased a sheet set and then used the flat sheet as a backing - with just two strips of a paler green fabric.  The dark green fabric I found is called Home sweet home.  I thought that was appropriate. I like the fact that it is a mottled green, and it seems to match the flowers theme well.  Other than the multi colored strips all of the seams were sewn with an exposed seam.



Then it was a case of binding the edges and then lots of snipping.  Into the wash and plenty of shaking outside to ruffle the seams.  It will probably get another wash before I leave.  I don't have  a dryer - think that works well too. 


This will be going with me when I visit her in September. 

Comments

  1. I like what you did with all the fabric. The quilt looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have made four of these raggedy quilts now although I just use the same sized squares for the ones for my grandchildren. I also bought some Fiskars Rag Quilt Snips that helped with cutting the seams as I have arthritis in my hands. They work a treat. I put mine in the dryer after washing but clean the filter every 15 minutes or so to catch all the threads. Love the way yours has turned out. The green looks very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those snips sound like a great idea. Yes i have made some with the same size squares for my grandkids too! I am not really a green person, but do like the way it turned out.

      Delete
  3. I've never seen a ruffle edge quilt before, it is quite lovely. The different textures and colors go well together. I've been crocheting blankets lately, they just seem to take forever and ever to finish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are so easy too! I have a bag next to my chair of odd scraps of yarn and am crocheting granny squares to make baby blankets for a home near us. they dont seem like such a big project when you break it down into squares.

      Delete
  4. What a wonderful way to use the fabric. I love the flowers and green of the quilt ... it will be like sleeping in a flower garden! Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. A lovely quilt Gill and what a great idea to use your Mom's painted fabrics. My first attempt at a quilt was the one I made for the birth of my grandson. It didn't turn out 100% so I need to work at it so the next one looks better :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami,
      I heard that all good quilters make a mistake so that there is a little bit of imperfection! It is the love that you sew into it that really matters!

      Delete
  6. You are very talented and loving. This quilt is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Louise, I always try the easy way to work on these large quilts.

      Delete
  7. beautiful!
    thanx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gillian, I love seeing your creative projects. thanks for sharing your talents with us! Wish you were back here so you could teach me quilting. Love, Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Popular posts from this blog

Up-cycling fabrics

Slow stitching and creative mending

Walking the Camino