Green ants nest

I know some of you have been interested in the green ants we find here.  We have been seeing trails of green ants all around the garden and last weekend found the nest up in the tree.  It was about three feet around!  I know they are befeneficial, but that was just too many ants in my little garden, so we cut it down and my brave hubby carried it attached to a long stick down to the creek.  I didnt get any photos, but found this fascinating video that shows how the nests are built. Sir David Attenborough is the best!  Anyone else a fan?
http://www.treehugger.com/animals/watch-these-incredible-green-ants-build-leaf-castle.html

Comments

  1. Ants can be good but they are a pest! I love David Attenborough´s documentaries, they are so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont mind a small nest here and there, but that one needed to be moved.

      Delete
  2. That is fantastic...I am in awe....such tiny creatures achieving such incredible feats.
    Last year I got rid of two ant hills on my lawn with strong drenches of Demon insecticide.
    Count me in as a fan of Sir David as well....his documentaries keep me glued to the tv a whole lot....at one point that was all I watched on Netflix....you learn so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stuck my face (accidentally) into a green ants nest built in my heliconias when I lived at Trinity Beach. They can be very nasty and I don't blame you for getting rid of the nest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how horrible Roz, they have a nasty bite - I know!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how lucky no one was hurt, ants (and bees and other insects) can be nasty. Loved the documentary!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Popular posts from this blog

Up-cycling fabrics

Slow stitching and creative mending

Walking the Camino