Peppercorns on my vine

Some plants love this heat, and one of those is the peppercorn vine.  I noticed a while back that I was getting little strings of "pearls" forming on the ends of the branches.  I cut about a dozen of them and put them into a brine to pickle,  I am not really sure when the right time is to harvest them.  I love them out in the garden just to nibble on, but in order to preserve them they have to be pickled.  I might make steak au poivre one day and put both green and black pepperocrns into the sauce.  Recipes are hard to find, so if anyone has anything to share I will be most grateful.


I have also heard that the vine needs to be pruned properly after fruiting in order to produce the most peppercorns.  I am thinking of training it along the side of the perrenial bed, but want to make sure I do it the right way.  I saw something that said it only bears on outside shoots.  What does that mean?
I am certainly glad that there are no maintenance plants working hard in the garden as it is sooo hot and humid outside. 

Comments

  1. Very exciting. While I suspected they didn't grow in a bottle, I never knew how peppercorns did actually grow. I can't help with any advice of course but I am in awe and will be looking to see if they grow here. Though they probably need your tropical heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ros,
      Haha, yes I do love experimenting with different fruits and vegetables as you know. They do seem to love the tropical heat and humidity (I am glad something does!)

      Delete
  2. Sorry I can't give you any info on your peppercorn vine, but I would give Mr.Google a look.
    You're lucky that you will soon have fresh peppercorns for cooking...yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia,
      I have searched Mr Google extensively! I served some with our smoked salmon and avo starter the other day - yum.

      Delete
  3. I have seen lots of pepper growing in Borneo and Indonesia. That pepper was picked and stored dry in containers until the price was right. That was the type of pepper we use as a sprinkle with salt. There are many different plants called pepper though. Sometimes this is because there is no direct translation of words from one language to English. Your pickled green peppercorns sound wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louise,
      I understand that to make black peppercorns these have to be fermented and then dried. I thought black pepper is so easily obtained that I would try to preserve them in their green state. I do love them freeze dried so might research that.

      Delete
  4. So that's where black pepper comes from . I always imagined more of a shrub. Pretty cool to be growing your own pepper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was a show called spice trails on SBS and I remember seeing peppercorn vines and they seemed to have them on columns.

      Delete
  5. I had no idea how to grow pepper! The fin of tropical gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am sooo jealous right now. I love pepper and wish I could grow it I tried vanilla but did not have the patience or quite the right climate. Lots of Thai and Asian dishes use the pepper fresh so maybe track down a recipe. I have one and usually use tinned peppercorns.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loved seeing this plant, I always learn something new when I visit your garden!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Popular posts from this blog

Up-cycling fabrics

Slow stitching and creative mending

Walking the Camino