As I mentioned previously, the back section was getting rather overgrown, so I ventured into the heleconia/ginger section with my loppers. Heleconia stalks flower and then die, so I decided to cut back some of the flowering branches and bring them inside. These red heleconias are my favourite, and I am so glad that they are now flowering profusely. I need to figure out how to divert the new shoots so that they remain inside the bed, and I think continually cutting away the dying branches will allow the room for them to stay contained.
I removed the wooden trellis behind the gate and replaced it with a tepee, and after stomping around on that bed cutting things back it all looks a little sad at the moment so you will have to wait awhile for the great reveal.
I am linking this post to Catherines slow-blog-linky.