Lots of flowers and easy to grow

Every garden should have them - dependable stalwarts.  Those plants that flower all the time, adding beauty and not requiring anything.  Continually self-propagating.  (fertility alley?)  They are rarely showcased anymore here since they are always in flower, and yet deserve their moment in the spotlight.  In a tropical garden there is always lots of green, but then also colour.  The first bit of colour among all the green, is the geisha girl - it keeps on flowering year round, and is a great butterfly attractant.   

 Then there are the large pink anthirium, and some of the tiny purple ones below them.  From the two plants I originally acquired I can now count at least 10, and they line butterfly alley.
 Red ginger starts out as a small bud, and then the flowers open for a couple of months, one on the end of every branch. I have the red and also the pink.

Eventually  the flowers are bowed down by new leaves and aerial roots as the weight pulls them down to to the ground to  start a new plant.


 Ground orchids do best if they have a bit of light and so they are all very happy that my latest bit of landscaping has let in more light.   Their bulbs are continually multiplying and can be divided up into new individual plants.

 The tree fern always has new fronds curled up ready to unfurl into shady green branches.  As those branches fall off and lie on the ground the spores find root and voila - we have another baby tree fern!
 Hibiscus is another common tropical flower - they only last for a day, but that means every morning there are fresh flowers on the bushes.  I really must remember to pick some to dry for tea.  You know celestial seasonings red zinger? That is made from hibiscus flowers.
 In the wet season the bromeliads really shine, and every time one of them flowers they will send out another pup to the side.  This can be removed and planted in another spot.

Living in the tropics,  my commonplace flowers might seem exotic to someone living in a more temperate zone.  What flowers do you have in the garden that are the bones of the garden?

Comments

  1. You know I love your garden so I am jealous of all your beautiful flowers.
    As we live in a rental house the bones of the garden mainly consists of easy to care for native bushes and trees. so most of our colour is in easy to move with pots, oh how I long for something more permanent....
    Did I miss your silk scarf giveaway, I don't remember seeing who won ???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maureen,
      Glad I can share the beauty. I never do that well with pots - I seem to forget to water them. Sami won the scarf - I mailed it off to here this week.

      Delete
  2. I love geisha girl. I had them in a former garden but not in our current one. I really should include a couple to bring in more butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy,
      That is the most amazing plant - it never stops flowering.

      Delete
  3. I had Geisha girl in a big pot by my front door, then I decided to replant it in the back garden and never again did it flower. I love all your tropical flowering plants. It gets so hot in Perth that most of the above would just wilt and die if not watered daily or not put in the shade. I buy some seasonal flowering plants every couple of years for some colour in the garden, when they are finished, a new lot gets planted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami,
      Oh dear, it might have been better to just plant out a slip, since they grow quite easily from a slip. I think it is the humidity that these plants love.

      Delete
  4. What a pretty selection. I have a few ginger, but I think your red one must need it warmer and wetter than we get in Brisbane, and I never knew that new plants sprung up from the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marisa,
      Those red gingers are almost a weed here, I would have thought they might grow in Brisbane. I am fascinated by the way they propagate.

      Delete
  5. The dewdrops are undoubtedly a necessity for the butterfly garden. Must-have for me because they attract hordes of swallowtails here in Florida. That red ginger is absolutely stunning!!! Still exotic to my eyes, even though gingers are planted in shade gardens commonly here. So funny that "red zinger" tea is made from hibiscus and not from red zinger! ????? I had to google that one, just to make sure you weren't pulling our legs, LOL. : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Floridagirl,
      I have another plant next to that called the golden dewdrop,(or duranta) but it never flowers - not sure why. I keep pruning it back as it has thorns so maybe that is the reason. I really have to make that tea now, to prove a point!

      Delete
    2. We call the purple bloomer you showed "Golden Dewdrop" here in Florida, because in winter, the blooms give way to golden colored berries that the birds love. No thorns on it. It is a Duranta though. Looks identical to your Geisha Girl.

      Delete
  6. Love your plants that you featured today. I agree...the should be reliable and not fussy. BUT these plants you feature are rather fussy here for our desert...too hot or too cool. It looks like your climate is juuuuuuust right:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rohrerbot,
      You have some really great cactus though.... I think every climate has its specialties.

      Delete
  7. What a tropical delight. Everything looks so lush and happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      I am loving being able to wander through and see what is going on throughout the garden. I think all the plants are happier too.

      Delete
  8. Does this post shout TROPICAL or what?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dearest Africanaussie,
    Yes, your marvelous flowers are SO EXOTIC♡♡♡
    So, dependable stalwarts is what your flowers have!!! I am so impressed by your explanation that you have colorful flowers year around (geisha-girl♪) And I love the Ground orchids; you made me wish to see them with my own eyes, my friend p;)
    I was SO busy this 2 days (physically tough) and your beautiful flowers made me comforted a bit♬♬♬
    Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miyako,
      I am glad that my flowers comforted you, and hope things are going better with you now. I am just so blessed to be able to grow these plants in my own backyard.

      Delete
  10. Stunning flowers ......That won't grow in my garden:( but thats ok because you have them and I can visit to see yours .....Wonderful! Havr a great weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I love to see what you are growing too! The best of both worlds!

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Popular posts from this blog

Up-cycling fabrics

Slow stitching and creative mending

Walking the Camino