Thursday, April 7, 2011

Heleconia opens up more

I think this heleconia deserves a post of its very own -  it has opened up even more now -  you still have to go into the "scary, deep forest," as my grandson calls it. 
I first noticed this starting to colour up on the 21st March, so it has taken about three weeks to open up this much.  I am always tempted to cut my big flowers that you don't see easily, but I like the idea of having to work a bit harder to access this one.  We have some friends visiting from England this weekend - I wonder if they will venture down the scary deep forest path to see it? 
   

7 comments:

garden girl said...

Oh Wow! This is so stunning. Can't help wondering where the African part of Africanaussie comes from?

Floridagirl said...

Oh, I wish I had a deep, scary forest! That heliconia is gorgeous. Definitely deserves its own post!

Desiree said...

She's a beauty! No words needed as she speaks volumes for herself :)

sanddune said...

Your Heleconia really gives your garden a tropical look. It is quite spectacular. I saw some like that in Costa Rica in the wild rain forest so you grandson is right on the mark. Nice!

Solitude Rising said...

I would gladly venture into the "scary, deep forest" if that beauty is what I'll find.

africanaussie said...

Gardengirl,
Oh! here it is in a nutshell - I was born in South Africa, left there at 22, travelled the world for the next 20 years or so on a sailboat, then ended up here in Australia.
Floridagirl,
thank you! I havnt seen any updated posts from you lately - you doing OK?
Desiree,
so glad it is not just me who thinks my "child" is beautiful.
Sanddune,
Yes I am so lucky to be able to grow flowers like this
Solitude Rising,
I am sure you can grow these on your farm....

africanaussie said...

Solitude Rising,
I saw in your last comments that you said yours had turned dwarf. I have some others that are just naturally low growing - only about a foot high - maybe you have that kind?

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My Photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com