Thursday, April 15, 2010

And on into the vegetable garden

I cut back more of the pigeon pea side shoots allowing all this lovely sunshine onto the vegetables seedlings that survived the rainy onslaught.  I wove those shoots in and out of the uprights creating a sort of rustic cucumber trellis.  The helconia branches I kept for plant supports have rotted, so that idea has been shelved.  Oh well, you live and learn.
I planted some more lettuce seeds, more beets and silverbeet.  those are the seeds that came up and drowned.  The bok choy, radish, cucumber and gemsquash have done ok.   I also transplanted some tomato seedlings into the ground, planting them deeply so that they can form a good network of roots.  They are in the framework behind the row of cucumbers.


I was left a couple of Malay apple trees when the gardening group met at my place a couple of weeks ago.  I gave one to my neighbour as she has a bigger yard than mine.  Then I had an idea to create an espaliered tree against the back fence.  I have never done this before, but a fellow gardener on Kitchen gardeners International has done a few on his allotment in England.   It is still little, but I planted it next to the passionfruit vine that did so well. They always succumb to woody passionfruit virus after a year or two, and I have already started another passionfruit a little further down the fence.  So now I have a few new projects to work on, as our "winter" season begins.

3 comments:

  1. It's interesting to me that wherever people plant vegetables, many of the same names keep popping up (of course with a few "ringers" such as Malay apple). My leaf lettuce is growing well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow leaf lettuce already! I am impressed, it was not that long ago that the Chicago area was covered in snow! I think everyone strives to grow the "regular" vegetables, that we know and love. I keep trying some of the more native type to find ones that I like. I also talk to the old timers here to find out what they like to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never really known what a winter in your part of the world is really like - so I'll be looking forward to see what harvests you get - probably all the same stuff we in the UK have during our summer!

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com