Friday, December 18, 2015

Too hot to garden!

I missed the last Garden Share collective, although I did read what others were doing in their gardens.  It really is way too hot and humid to work in the garden.  There are too many bugs, and nothing new has been planted.  a few plants struggle on - those that love this weather - the garlic, the choko, the coffee, and YES!  I have peppercorns on my vine!  Lots of basil. lots of tropical flowers. Anything that doesnt require me to be outside too long in this heat.
I bought myself a present - a set of watercolour pencils.  Has anyone else ever tried them?  I love the way that you can have the control of a pencil but, when you add water, the magic begins. I have spent quite a few pleasureable hours out in the garden, experimenting.  It is not too bad under the shade of the gazebo.

One thing I do love is to be inside with a good book and I just have to reccomend a new author I have discovered.  Hannah  co-authors a blog fork and fiction which runs along similar lines - a story and some awesome recipes. For years I have been working on a book along similar lines.  Stories about my sailing days, with recipes I gathered along the way, and this has inspired me to drag out my manuscript and give it another go.  It will never get published hidden away out of sight.
Check this book out if you are looking for a good read

season of salt and honey 

I have been baking and crafting and spending time with family.  I hope all my readers manage to spend time with those they love,  in flesh or in spirit.  Happy Christmas everyone, and see you n the New Year!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Africanaussie, it is too wet here in this part of the world. Wish that you will have cooler days especially during Christmas. Have a happy one! Btw that drawing is really cool and I wish you success in getting your manuscript published. You have a pleasant day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Stephanie,
      thank you, I know you are in the same boat, so stay cool as well this Christmas!

      Delete
  2. Hi Africanaussie, I must compliment you on your artistic flair. I've been trying to get hold of the sexy pink for quite a while. I must try harder at the nurseries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stiletto,
      thank you. Yes that is one of my faovurites. I find the markets here are the best places to get local plants.

      Delete
  3. Lovely drawing! I have some watercolour pencils, too, and enjoy their versatility.
    In Canada, we are having a very mild fall due to El Nino. Looks like a green Christmas. But it makes traveling for the holidays a lot easier, so that's good.
    Hope you have a great Christmas with family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny,
      That is what I like about them. I have some other friends in Canada and they were also commenting how much easier driving will be this Christmas. I cannot imagine driving on ice!

      Delete
  4. That's a water colour drawing. I think your stories and recipes from your sailing days would be a very interesting read. I agree with you, too hot. Not humid here though, very dry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy,
      we did live a very interesting life, that is why I keep persisting with it. Not my favourite time of the year....

      Delete
  5. A very Merry Christmas to you as well. Beautiful painting. You're so very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its 41 down here in Melbourne today, pant pant pant..... Love your drawing, inspirational in fact. I couldnt think of anything i might like for a gift and now i know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lovely painting of your sexy pink heliconia...love it a lot...so happy for you that you're enjoying experimenting with the watercolour pencils.
    Keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you find some time to work on your manuscript....the worldwide recipes from your travels sound intriguing.
    Merry Christmas to you and your family both near and far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Virginia, and a Merry Christmas to you and yours as well!

      Delete
  8. Lovely painting Gill, very talented. I must try those watercolour pencils. I bought some colouring books for my Dad for Christmas but have had trouble finding colouring pencils, all gone! Good luck with your book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami,
      Oh gosh I hope you find some - they seem very popular this year.

      Delete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com