Thursday, December 4, 2014

Flowers!

Lizzie said that she didnt want flowers in the garden collecitve post, so I saved the photos I took last weekend to post them separately. They do deserve their own post - flowers in the garden make me so happy! My lipstick plant is flowering.  Gosh I love these flowers.


You can see how they get their name as the flowers peek out of their little containers just like a tube of red lipstick!


I love the orange of the ixora next to the purple of the tibouchina.



All in all the garden does not seem to have suffered too badly through this drought, and we have had a few little rain showers almost every day for the last week so I guess that means the wet season will be here soon.  

11 comments:

  1. Ooh I have never seen the lipstick plant. It's so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is isnt it? It has long pods that form after flowering and I might try and start some more plants from those seeds this year.

      Delete
  2. I love the purple tibouchina....big flowers always make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia,
      It has not done well in my garden up to now, so I must be doing something right - wish I knew what it was! :)

      Delete
  3. I've been intrigued by that lipstick plant whenever I've seen it in local nurseries, selling as a houseplant. Such cool flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allison,
      I think it is part of the orchid fmaily, so likes heat and humidity. I think other than that it would make a great houseplant.

      Delete
  4. Your flowers are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie,
      I look forward to hearing more about how you adapt to retirement...

      Delete
  5. I had forgotten how pretty the lipstick flowers are. They really do look like lipsticks. Glad you are getting some rain. We all can use a steady supply of that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Susan,
    It is great fun to look forward to each indiviidual flower as the seasons change. I see I have a sexy pink lady bud in the corner, so it might be looking very pretty for Christmas. the rain certianly helps with these thirsty tropicals.

    ReplyDelete
  7. your garden looks so tropical! I must have missed that instruction from Lizzie, because I always sneak in a few flowers, I think feeding the bees is part of growing the veges! thanks for sharing the pics :)

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com