Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Afternoon tea with gluten free and diabetic guests

It was time for another afternoon tea in the garden.  One of my friends had been ill, and another was feeling sad, there were a couple I just wanted to spend more time with.  An afternoon in my garden accompanied by friends, birdsong and good food was what was needed.

My friend took this photo on her ipad,  and gave me permission  to use it here, as I was busy pouring tea.....

 Out of 7, three guests  have type 2 diabetes and two are gluten intolerant, so the menu had to be carefully planned.  I have been "baking" life changing bread for a while now, and that is great for diabetics and is also gluten free so that was a definite.  I served it on a bed of rocket, with some yellow cherry tomatoes from the garden.  Simple with a slice of cheese and a piece of sundried tomato, so that the bread is the star.  I first found the recipe here and there are many recipes on the net, but here is my version:

Life Changing Bread

Mix together
2 cups sunflower seeds
1 cup ground linseed
1 cup chopped nuts
3 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup psyllum husks
4 Tbs chia seeds
1 tsp salt

In another bowl mix the liquids together
1/2 cup grape seed oil
1 Tbsp honey
2 cups water
1 cup whey or water

Mix the wet ingredients into the dry and then press firmly into 2 loaf pans.  Cover with cling wrap and leave on kitchen counter overnight.  The whey reacts with the grains, making them more digestible and gives a slightly sourdough flavour.  If you dont want that flavour you can use all water, but the grains need to thoroughly soak up the mositure and soften.
Bake at 180*C for 30 minutes.  Tip out of pans and then place them straight on the oven rack for a further 20 minutes or so until dry and firm.  Once cooled, it can be sliced and then stored in the freezer in a plastic bag.  I simply take out a slice as needed.
I make two loaves to make use of having the oven on for an hour, but you can halve it for one loaf.

the other recipe suitable for both diabetics and coelics is

Chocolate date truffles

1 cup coconut milk (freeze the rest of the tin for use in curries)
1/4 cup cocoa
1/2 cup chia seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup dates, pits removed
1/2 cup coconut flour

Place in food processor until well chopped, If it is not sweet enough you could add some stevia, but I find the dates add enough sweetness. Roll into teaspoon sized balls and then roll in coconut if desired.  These freeeze very well.

I am posting these recipes on my recipe blog as well - easier to find as they can get lost among all the gardening posts.





12 comments:

  1. Your spread looks delicious. These days it is challenging to host people because their are so many food intolerances and health conditions. Or if you are diabetic like me it is difficult to find the right things to eat when invited out. It was very nice of you to plan the menu so well and I love your shared recipes which I hope to try some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyful, I agree that diabetics can normally find enough to eat without having special foods made for them.

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful afternoon tea.
    I had never before heard of coconut flour, so I might see if it is available here. I must admit that I stick to fruit for the people who have food problems. And no-one I know with type 2 diabetes asks for special foods. What do they need to avoid? Cheese? Meringues? Cream? Icing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never ask for special foods when invited out. I also never ask to go to any particular restaurant when I'm invited. I simply make do with whatever is there or provided or bring something with me that I can snack on. Since you asked what a diabetic should avoid it basically is anything too sweet (baked goods, or dishes with lots of sugar added) and anything made with white starches (white rice, white breads, white potatoes and so on).

      Delete
    2. Louise I got that in a gift pack and was actually looking for recipes to use it in, glad I found this one.

      Delete
  3. It all looks very tasty. I like the look of those date balls the recipe sounds quite easy and the fact you can freeze them is a bonus as I am sure you do not need to eat them too often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are a lovely sweet treat to have handy in the freezer

      Delete
  4. What a yummy looking spread of food! I'd love to come for tea, but it would be a very long trip. I might give that truffle recipe a spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be awesome to have all the people that read my blog and make such lovely comments around for tea.

      Delete
  5. I'm gluten intolerant, so I will these recipes a try! I also try and cater for various food intolerances when I invite friends over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami,
      there are so many options around that it is nice to try and make guests as comfortable as possible.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a wonderful afternoon, and with a delicious spread like that I'm sure the blues were gone in a second.
    Hope your friends are feeling much better now.

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com