Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Plants on steroids?

In other tropical areas like Florida USA caladiums totally die back in the dry season, but I seem to have them year round.  I had planted a white one in the shady area behind the lychee tree and recently wondered if it had died.   Oh no!  It has been quietly storing up some kind of steroids because this huge leaf appeared last week. Obviously it is not unhappy - I have never seen such a large leaf - I wonder what could have caused it?  Arent those veins gorgous?  I had to hold it out as it geets all floppy at the end of the day.  I think that llittle narrow stem has a hard time getting nutrients up into the huge leaf.
Right next to it are some peace lillies and those flowers too are bigger than they have ever been.   When I first planted my garden around the lychee tree I read a lot of  advice not to do that, as the tree would greedily grab all the nutrients in the soil, leaving the plants lacking.  Wow this is certainly not the case here.
Another plant doing well is the new chinese lantern I bought from my garden competition winnings.  So many buds and flowers on this little plant, and it has doubled in size already. It tells me when it needs a drink, but getting all droopy, but then perks up straight away once it is watered.  It is in a sunny spot so I suppose the ground does dry out there rather quickly.  At this rate I am going to have to put some thought into the arbour I am hoping it is going to trail over as it gets to the top of the fence.
 Aren't these little buds just gorgous?

20 comments:

  1. Hi africanaussie,
    I discovered your blog today through a comment on Rhonda's Down to Earth. I like what I have seen so far as I am just starting out as a gardener and can see a ton of information here. Thank you. Your photographs are gorgeous. What megapixel of camera do you use? Will visit often,
    Cheers
    Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya,
      Welcome. Gosh I dont know that I would have your perserverance to keep going after everything is flooded! I use a fuji 10mpx camera, always on auto, and then just use the best. I crop but dont do any other editing. I keep thinking I should learn more about photography.

      Delete
  2. I'm absolutely floored by your steroid-fed Caladium and spathiphyllum. Your Caladium is a monster. The Chinese Lantern is gorgeous and so are the buds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stiletto,
      Yes I am thrilled too - it is so nice to be able to post my photos and have others share in the joy my garden gives me.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I've been reading your blog for ages now! (Found it through Laura Rittenhause's blog) Anyway, my caladiums grow through the dry so long as they have enough water. If you're watering the chinese lantern is the caladium getting any? As for the size, caladiums aren't very heavy feeders. Or maybe the lychee tree is just magical!

    The chinese lantern is gorgeous! I haven't really seen any round Darwin that I can think of but I'll look out for them now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tropicalthreads,
      I think your climate is similar to mine. I do water those plants if they look very dry, although mostly I like them to manage on what nature provides. I saw one in a garden ages ago, but this is the first time I have seen it in a nursery. I hope it continues to do this well in my garden.

      Delete
  5. Goodness, what a huge leaf and peace lilly. You must be doing something right for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami,
      I wish I knew what casued it - I might be able to bottle it up and become a millionare!

      Delete
  6. It would be scary if it wasn't so beautiful. I fear one day you'll be like Sleeping Beauty surrounded by a protective wall of plants keeping the world away. If I were you I'd keep a machete handy under the bed :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,
      I miss you! I hope you start blogging again soon.....Oh I already have to keep these tropical plants in line. everything gets regularly cut back.

      Delete
  7. Gillian, I think it's your healthy rich soil and the wonderful FNQ weather where Winter never happens. My caladiums haven't started shooting yet. They die back each Winter, but I can't imagine them ever getting that big here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz,
      I think you are right, sometimes it is hard to tell what season it is! I must say that gardening here is very rewarding.

      Delete
  8. Your garden must be looking lovely....judging from these pictures. And yes that is one HUGE leaf. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I do need to cut things back a bit before the wet season starts, otherwise i will have a jungle :)

      Delete
  9. That caladium leaf is GINORMOUS...wow that comfrey foliar feed must have a lot to do with it. Lovely peace lily flowers as well. Peace lilies don't like me. Every single peace lily I've had over the years has died, so now I leave them alone and admire from afar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia,
      I really dont feed these plants with anything - it is my veggies that get the comfrey feed.... I ignored these peace lilies - maybe that is what they like!

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! Are you sure noone accidentally spilled a bottle of prednisone or other hormones on your soil? :-D Whatever it is, you are surely doing something right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plant chaser - it does seem that way doesnt it?

      Delete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com