Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Slow Living catch up for June

Every month I seem to say - Oh gosh I meant to do the monthly update on Slow Living Essentials.  Well this month I have at last made it to the party on time!  So what have I achieved in the designated areas?:
Nourish:  My hubby is not always as keen as I am on trying out different foods, so mostly I made new recipes up in order to have them for lunches.  He really likes the tuna quinoa patties though, so they will go into the pile of super healthy, easy to do, and oft to be repeated recipes. Here is the recipe  we gobbled them up before I could take a photo.
Prepare:  As well as making the tuna patties to have on hand in the freezer I also roasted two large pumpkins, then scooped out the flesh and froze in ziploc bags - 1 cup each.  I often see recipes I want to try that use 1 cup of pumpkin, and roasting does bring out the best flavour.
Green: I made a batch of my homemade gumption paste, which is wonderful for cleaning the bathroom.  Mix together
1 cup bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
1 Tbs glycerin - find in the icing section of your grocery store
1 Tbs liquid detergent
1 tsp tea tree oil or eucalyptus oil
Mix together until it forms a paste and store in a wide mouth jar, if too liquid add a little more baking soda, If too dry add more liquid, it should be a paste consistency. I personally find that this works better than the original. I think it is the glycerin that makes your sinks shine so nicely and the tea tree keeps mold away in the bathrooms and smells really lovely and clean.  For stubborn stains rub on a little paste and then spray with a light vinegar solution and let sit for a while before scrubbing again and rinsing off.
Not using chemicals means I am more likely to find things like green tree frogs in my garden.  This one was a feature next to my front door for quite a few nights.


Create:  I eventually got the sewing machine out this month and made a trial run of the bali bag I am going to make with some beautiful fabric a friend gave me for my birthday.  I will post a tutorial once I have made the real thing.  I am finding this little bag is perfect to keep my projects in right next to my chair.
This is the fabric for my new bag that I am working on next - you have to sew the fabric into a long strip and then fold in half - it was a calming project to do.


Discover:  In a skype call to my daughter in America (don't you just love skype?) she told me about a monthly box she had subscribed to.  You receive a selection of different products to try, some sample size and some full size, but all organic and non toxic.  She convinced me to try one here in Australia and we found the notoxbox, and I immediately signed up for a three month gift subscription.  If you get a gift subscription you also get a free 15.00 coupon.   I got my first box and wow there was some lovely stuff in there!  This is a nice way to trial new products, and you know that everything is going to be not only good for you, but good for the environment.

Enhance:  The butterflies enhance the time I spend in the garden, but I have not seen any chrysalis this year.
















Enjoy: My mother turned 89 and we all submitted photos to my niece who put together a lovely photo book for her.  As my niece said there is nothing quite as exciting as finding the perfect present.  Looking through all my photos selecting the perfect ones was a very enjoyable pastime.

Improve: I have been walking early in the morning (I know, it is still dark) and trying a few other things to improve my health, posting about my efforts will maybe make me more accountable.  Anyone want to join in?
thank you Christine for doing this so that we can all remember to keep on track. 

19 comments:

  1. What a lovely picture of the buttefly, I love this post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Milow, it is really nice to do this monthly catch up.

      Delete
  2. A lovely positive post and I LOVE that Balinese fabric and can't wait to see that tutorial :). Thankyou for the home-made gumption recipe as well. I am going to make some and try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Serendipity,
      It is beautiful and I am so glad that I did a trial run first. I hope the gumption worked well for you.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed this slow living post....I learned a lot.
    I will be making some of the gumption paste and preparing small batches of food to freeze for future meals.
    The gorgeous blue butterfly on the yellow ixoras is stunning....worthy of a frame and a spot on a wall....smile.
    Happy Belated birthday greetings to your mum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia,
      Thank you, and glad you found something useful to try. I love the Ulysses butterflies, but they move so fast so are quite hard to photograph.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Fiona,
      they are very tasty, but I don't know why I never remember to photograph what i cook!

      Delete
  5. Wow, gorgeous photo of the butterfly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nickie,
      thank you - hubby took it actually - he has more patience than me lol

      Delete
  6. I love your butterfly photo - they always seem to move away before I can get my camera out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lightlycruncy,
      I know the feeling - I sometimes follow them around for ages....

      Delete
  7. I remember the first time that I saw a tree frog in a garden (not mine). It was a magical moment. And thank you so much for your kind words about my book! I really do appreciate it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderful creatures, and the best thing is that they sit still so you can photograph them!

      Delete
  8. Oh my! You have been busy... inspiring indeed. Time for me to do something besides graden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn,
      Oh you do lots of wonderful things, and your garden reflects the time and love you spend in it

      Delete
  9. Thanks so much for sharing your gumption paste recipe - I have all of these ingredients so will definitely be giving this a go! Loving that bag, too! :)

    (so pleased you found the time to join in!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christine for continuing to host it - it really is great to reflect on the month. Hopefully I will have the other bag by the end of this month!

      Delete
  10. Hey AA! I'm pleased you managed to get a reflection done!
    Awesome pictures! Love the frog! And you are right. They are much easier to photograph than butterflies!
    The gumption looks interesting - I have been using just bi-carb but I can see how the rest of the ingrediants would add to the cleaning power. I will make some up too!
    - K xx

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com