Monday, December 3, 2012

Trellis ... and the costs of gardening

Hubby and I started on the trellis this weekend - one tin of spray paint did not go very far at all - I should really have painted them with a paintbrush.  This should be enough to protect the wood a little bit anyway....  certainly not the bright blue feature I was looking for.  I see this corner is already pulling away so the whole thing will need to be re-enforced a bit better.

 They are really quite flimsy so I am probably making more work for myself in the future when it starts to collapse and then I will have to resurrect a collapsing frame -  I  do like to have something for the poor stephanotis to trail over though - don't they look pretty?  I hung the pots of orchids onto the sides, and would love one day to get or make some of those lovely lattice wooden pots - the mismatch of pots and hanging arrangements doesn't do them justice.


Does anyone else feel that there is never enough money in the gardening kitty?   I do love all my plants though and think they do ok with my fumbling around collecting free seaweed, council mulch and the odd bag of organic amendments.   This little pink ginger flower seems healthier and more colorful than last year.  

 One of the orchids tied up to the weeping tea tree next to the bird bath sent out this long shoot that gets in everyone's way as we walk into the backyard   Look what is on the end of it!   I think soon it is going to be shouting "look at me , look at me"
 I wonder if I had unlimited money and could buy all the lovely wrought iron structures I know would look lovely in my garden ... would my garden actually look any better?   Maybe then I wouldn't have so many projects and quite honestly I do like pottering around for hours looking for more things to do....

12 comments:

  1. I love your trellis - great colour and a great place to display your orchids. I'd appreciate a bit more money to spend on the garden too but I don't think all the money in the world makes a garden as much as the care of a good gardener....and your garden certainly has that in abundance Gillian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roz,
      Oh thank you! Actually a lot of what I do - fiddling around growing plants from slips, and working out how to make something work is all part of the fun.

      Delete
  2. I love your stephanotis. I used to have a tall plant but it bade me farewell some years back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stiletto,
      oh gosh don't say that - I must say that I have neglected it, and it has had to find its own structures to climb. Hopefully this trellis makes it happy. I am pleased at how often it seems to be flowering.

      Delete
  3. I like the look of your trellis. I think it has a nice weathered look as though it's been in your garden for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative with the trellis.
    The plants in your garden now is like siblings with our new garden now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Malay-Kadazan,
      I know - I am keen to see how your new garden is progressing.

      Delete
  5. I'm personally drawn more to scavenged and home made things in the garden. If you spend wads of money to make it beautiful it always looks like a 5 star hotel garden to me and therefore unloved and impersonal. Which is a long way of saying I love your trellis.

    As for cans of spray-paint, I have learned my lesson as well. I tried to spray a white plastic chair dark green to match the others I had in a set. After a full can, the stupid thing wasn't close to covered. I'm sure a new chair would cost less than enough cans to spray it. It will take something very specific for me to ever try that again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,
      Actually we often do comment that we live in a resort - I think you would have to do a really bad job with all the wonderful flowers I am able to grow with ease. I really don't need all the extra features. The difference between a want and a need I suppose! I figured graffiti artists must be very rich as I know know how much paint they must go through.

      Delete
  6. Loved the colour on the trellises....they came out really nice. I'm sure the stephanotis will feel right at home.
    I only use spray paint for small jobs. I love to paint, so if you buy a small tin of blue paint, and a ticket for me to visit your side of the world, I'll be there with my paintbrush!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Virginia,
    Oh that would really put up the costs! It would be lovely though to meet all out fellow bloggers in person wouldn't it?

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com