Monday, December 17, 2012

Pink corner

The back corner just turned out to be the "pink" section, without any real planning.   Unfortunately I sometimes forget how small my garden is.  Torch ginger is a plant that really is too big for the garden and was blocking the view to my lovely pink ladies in the back corner.  The leaves were about ten feet tall, even though the lovely flowers were only a foot or so high.
  It is actually quite an untidy corner - the leaves get shredded in the wind, but we have more than ten flowers on the plant right now.  The torch ginger was blocking them from view and so had to go. We got a couple of loads of (very smelly) mulch that I spread around the central island and alongside the pool.  I moved the torch ginger out there where it will have more room to grow.   Now I can see my little pink corner a bit better.
   The pink gingers are in the front, and are so pretty right now.  The pink is not as common as the red ginger.
Another plant in my garden that is rather large is this one I first got from a neighbor.  I have no idea what it is, but the large leaves are stunning. The underside has a whitish powdery coating that makes them look grey.  Not a common color in the tropical garden.  The leaves are very stiff and make a crackling sound as they rub together in the wind.   It is growing right against the fence so doesn't block any view, and rather creates a screen.  I didn't notice the little honeyeater on the fence, but you can certainly compare the size of the tiny bird and the huge leaf.  
 
 In a small garden you have to be very aware of locating lower plants in the front so that the ones at the back  are not blocked from view.  This is a large plant, but I think with continual maintenance it will be fine in that area.  I do like to have the plants hiding the fences - it seems more 'foresty".
 .
  

11 comments:

  1. I prefer to hide the fences with large plants too. That way I can pretend there is a forest there, and not a neighbor's house and yard just beyond the fence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison,
      My neighbor towards the back has plants and trees bigger than mine so when the fence is hidden you cant see where my garden ends and hers begins.

      Delete
  2. Dearest Africanaussie,
    Oh, pink gingers; I've never seen the lovely ones and wonder if they are edible as they look too cute to eat, haha. Yes, it sure good to have these large green plants to hide fences♡♡♡
    Hope it is not too hot in your place; it is colder than usual year here(^^;)
    Sending you lots of love and hugs from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miyako,
      No these are not edible, but the ones I moved are, although I have never tired them... somehow they seem too pretty to eat! Oh it is very hot and humid here

      Delete
  3. I had never seen pink ginger, they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami,
      they are pretty, but every little mark or bugbite shows!

      Delete
  4. You do know you could rent your back garden out for the next Jurassic Park film, don't you. It is truly beautiful and exotic and tropical and almost other-worldly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,
      you know it would have to be miniature dinosaurs? :)

      Delete
  5. Jak widzę takie rośliny i kwiaty u Ciebie, to tak jakbym była w wielkiej szklarni u nas. Pozdrawiam.
    When I see the plants and flowers for you, it's like I was in a big greenhouse with us. Yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giga,
      True, but then again you have some lovely plants that I cant grow..sigh.

      Delete
  6. I'm loving that pink corner more and more.
    Not sure what the big leaf plant is in the last photo, but I love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com