Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Christmas Angels

I told you I was going to start crocheting Christmas angels, and after a lot of research found a pattern I liked. Sometimes patterns just don't make any sense to me, and I just wing it - does that happen to everyone?  Anyway she turned out ok, but is not really made according to the pattern,( her head seems a bit wonky and the skirt is sooo wide.....) which I found here on ravelry.  I might try this one next noelle angel as she is a bit more lacy too.
I am linking to Fiona  with her homemade Christmas challenge and also to  Urban farm challenge.  I did this in the first part of the year - and only just discovered that this month is home-made decorations and gifts so I am right on track!  - Just a reminder that the pattern for my crocheted snowflakes.  These are wonderful to slip into Christmas cards to make them a little bit special, or tie onto a present.

the pattern can be found on my previous post.

I reckon everyone needs an angel. Over the weekend we saw our little honey-eater fluttering around madly, and I noticed - yes, you guessed it.... a snake!  He slithered away and we threw some stones against the fence (well my hubby did - I stood at the window directing operations! ) He didn't like the noise/vibration so hopefully he got the message.  This little bird has some angels protecting its nest!
She flies away when we go outside the back, but then quickly returns.  We have tinting on the windows and she clearly cannot see us inside which is nice - she often seems to be peering in at us :0 This is a very fuzzy picture, but you get the message :) 

 There is another nest being built out the front.....

but I have another angel that hangs right alongside it - I wonder if that is why they chose that spot?


May the angels watch over you this Christmas season. 

15 comments:

  1. I have also linked here http://sustainablesuburbia.net/simple-seasonal-goodness-celebrating-advent-with-a-difference/
    - she has the cutest felt nativity scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love your lil crocheted angel! I haven't done crochet for many years, but I've seen some really pretty things lately that make picking up a hook and some yarn and seeing if I remember how, very tempting.

    Your little honey-eater is so sweet - how nice that she gives you a good look at her on the window!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Garden girl,
      I am sure you will feel right at home again once you pick up that hook. It is amazing - especially when she hangs upside down on the washing line and seems to be looking in at us - of course she is admiring her mirrored reflection!

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness you were able to save that poor bird from that snake. Not sure I'd be able to live with snakes around, I admire you, but you're probably accustomed, like how I am with Brazen monkey.
    The little honey-eater bird built an interesting nest, I had never seen an elongated nest before.
    I have Battenberg lace angels for my Christmas tree, but I adore your crochet angel too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia,
      Oh no I am terrified of snakes, but luckily the majority of snakes here are the non venomous green tree snakes or pythons.

      Delete
  4. I love the honey eater and I hope all your angels protect them! I wonder if the bird is looking in at your crochet snowflakes dreaming of a cool change :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laura,
      we all dream of a cool change I suspect, but as I said the other day to my hubby - it is only going to get worse before it gets better. The rainy season hasn't even started yet.

      Delete
  5. Your honey eater is adorable and so is your angel. Wishing you a very happy holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for linking up again. I love watching birds as they go about their lives. They are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona,
      Every morning I wake up to the sound of birds and realize how blessed I am.

      Delete
  7. What a lovely ANGEL post! Your crocheted angel did not turn out too bad and it often changes completely when using a different thread or altering the stitch; that way you can modify the shape.
    LOVE your honey eater. What a precious little bird and so good from your husband to chase that bird-eating snake away. At least for the time being. Unique for being able to have such a rare view of it!
    Enjoy your upcoming summer and your surroundings. Happy 3rd Advent weekend and a happy Christmas. We miss our tropical Christmas that we got so used to while working and living in Indonesia for 3 years... Tonight might be the 1st frost. All our tropical plants have been moved inside the greenhouse or garage. Quite a task each year but worth it so far.
    Hugs to you lady,
    Mariette

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mariette,
    Thank you! We don't have a lot of craft supplies locally, but I have a half a ball of thin proper crochet thread so might try the lacy pattern Angel with that. Our climate is very similar to Indonesia, and all the tropical flowers are blooming! Glad you are able to grow some in your climate by protecting them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, as long as we manage to drag them inside the greenhouse and such, we can enjoy them. I hate the dreary look of winter, however short here. But once living in the tropics makes you spoiled for life! Enjoy your climate. Hugs to you,
      Mariette

      Delete
  9. So many beautiful things! I am in love with the crochet snowflakes. I might even attempt to learn to crochet based on your wonderful snowflakes! -Kara xx

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com