Thursday, August 2, 2012

Book review - Lemongrass and Ginger by Leemei Tan

I am an avid reader, and recently discovered a site where bloggers, educators and authors have the opportunity of downloading e-books to review. I haven't been making full use of my e-reader, so I jumped at the chance, and the first book I read was "Lemongrass and ginger" by Leemei Tan.  I think I am going to enjoy this new project - you have to request a book, and then post a review either on your blog or online.  I have been thinking for a while that I might like to post reviews of books I have enjoyed, so this is the first.  Once I get my HTML brain in gear these will come up on the separate tab on this blog....  the next review will be a gardening book, so stay tuned.

Leemei has a blog as well, here are the details.  
available from Amazon   (if you buy from this link I will get a little credit)


There are so many recipes here that I want to try - so many of these ingredients I grow in my own garden and that is what I really love to cook.   I do like the fact that she has included the recipes for the curry pastes in the back, as making them fresh really makes a difference to the taste..  
there are 
Malaysian dishes (I have been there and so enjoyed the foods, especially as they bring back happy memories of travelling with my two girls)
Japanese dishes (I lived there for six weeks many years ago, and one of my favourite dishes was okinomiyaki, which is included)
Indian food (my daughter has gone there - does that count?, and I have always loved Indian food - the rotis that we enjoyed in Malaysia were superb - and now I can make them in my own kitchen!)
Korean food, Vietnamese food, oh my gosh the list goes on and on. 
The recipes are all very clearly written and  use fresh simple ingredients.  This is a beautiful book!

I am going to be away for two weeks, so will post again on my return.  

15 comments:

  1. I have both ginger and lemon grass growing in my garden, so it would be interesting to read this book and try some of the recipes as well.
    I love dabbling in foreign recipes, but I also enjoy eating at our local Indian and Chinese inspired restaurants. I actually had a chicken roti yesterday for lunch.
    Take care on your trip and return safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so cool to use products from the garden in cooking. I just adored the roti in Malaysia when we were there. We don't have many ethnic restaurant here so I have to cook at home if I want something exotic.

      Delete
  2. Your post made me hungry. LOL Enjoy your time away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. there was definitely some tummy rumbling my end as well :) thank you.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the write up! Would be great if you could write a review on Amazon once you have tried making some of my dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every place I move to, lemon grass is a must in the garden. The plant is showy. Kakdah will use lemon grass in her cooking from time to time.... lovely plant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine has grown very thick and bush - I think it needs some serious thinning out. a job for my return.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the link and the review of what looks like a great book. I'm going to check both out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. well lucky you can sign up as an author and a blogger - although I think you only have one option!

      Delete
  6. I was just about to get to your post today and then you stopped by:) I had no idea that we could that....review for an e download. That's brilliant. What I find even more interesting is that our kindles or ereaders could act as a recipe book:) Very bizarre. Love Malaysian food...yum! Be safe and have a wonderful 2 weeks out and about...Chris

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I have borrowed this book from our local library here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ginger is part & parcel of my life & family.
    We can do much without ginger when it comes to cooking.
    I guess its natural for indians to always have them in the culinary.

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh yum! I'll look for that book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds fantastic. It's awesome that you are able to grow the Asian herbs and veggies we can only buy in supermarkets here in the US!

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My Photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com