Tuesday, July 17, 2012

My love affair with Rex

My first sight of a Rex Begonia at a friends house made me do a double take.  "Gosh what is that plant with the gorgeous foliage?" I asked.   Take a piece she said - it will root, and it sure did.  I love the grey top colour and the pinkish undersides.   Here the grey, green and pink create a very colorful palette.

It loved me back,
and from that little piece I now have three pots, and I even began to wonder if it needed to be in a pot, so planted one in the ground, which is doing fine  Others said that the flowers were of no consequence, and that the foliage was the real beauty.   The flowers do appear rather unnoticed,  but very, very pretty little things they are.



I recently acquired another Rex and this one has a more flamboyant variegated green leaf, and has just recently started flowering.... I love the little hairs, and the pretty, pretty flowers, held so high and proud above the leaves.   They have to get away from the leaves in order to shine out - each vying for attention.

 Aren't they just too cute for words?


Definitely a love affair going on here.


I am a little late, but am joining in with Carol at maydreamsgardens for Garden bloggers bloom day, and since I am also so in love with the foliage of the rex begonia I am joining with pam at digging for foliage follow up.  

17 comments:

  1. They certainly make for a more colorful foliage. Congratulations on the propagation. -- Bom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bom,
      I was surprised how easy they are to grow.

      Delete
  2. The love affair is obviously both ways. They are so healthy. I was traumatised by B Rex when I was younger (I'd get them looking good then they'd drop dead) so I haven't tried to grow one in many years. At least I can look at yours and know they won't die.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Missy,
      next time you are visiting your grand kids you will have to head up a bit further north and pick up a couple. I reckon I have some pretty hardy varieties.

      Delete
    2. I'll let you know when I'm going next time and see if we can arrange a visit. That would be great.

      Delete
  3. I love Rex Begonias too, but can't seem to get them to thrive in pots here. Maybe I didn't water them enough, or maybe they don't like our coolish summers. Yours are doing great! They do have such pretty foliage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alison,
      I think they don't like you fussing over them - I definitely don't water them much - think they must like to dry out between watering.

      Delete
  4. Very interesting flowers! I really like the leaves though on this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The leaves can be quite flamboyant compared to the flowers.

      Delete
  5. I don't have any rex begonias these days, but your post takes me back. In my late teens and early twenties, when I was renting a little flat with a girlfriend, we had such a great collection of both rex begonias and African violets. There was a pot on every windowsill, and any gaps too small for a pot had a glass tumbler with a collection of leaves from both striking in water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the joy of plants that grow from a single leaf :)

      Delete
  6. aloha,

    i love begonias also, but they don't have too many of the colorful leaved varieties, mostly the one's i see have showy double flowers, i'll have to keep my eyes open for more of the rex...yours are beautiful and i love that pinky caladium in your previous post too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen some of your photographs of those begonias with huge leaves - gosh those are awesome! Yes I am glad that caladium survived the branches falling on it.

      Delete
  7. You can't beat begonias. They like our climate here and do well planted out in a shady area in the garden. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes they seem really fuss free - they have done well in both the shady and more sunny areas.

      Delete
  8. I love those Begonias...the leaves are fascinating.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My Photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com