Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Shrieking colors for bloom day May 15th

You will know that I am a real sucker for quotes, and especially ones about gardening,  and recently I found a lovely one I had never heard before.  It came from   Floridagirl, who has a similar climate to me, but opposite hemisphere, so she is just moving into spring right now, and soon will be in the middle of her hot humid wet season.
                                   "Everything is blooming most recklessly;
                        if it were voices instead of colors,
                        there would be an unbelievable shrieking
                        into the heart of the night"
                               Rainer Maria Rilke


This "winter" of ours, - our dry season - is quite my favorite time of the year, and I think pretty colorful.
Impatients pops its head up night now, and I spread the love by breaking off branches, dipping them into hormone powder and stick them straight into the ground.
 I also found this plant at the local market called balsam - similar to impatients.
 The ground orchids love this time of year and I recently subdivided them and planted a row down the length of butterfly alley.  I hope they are happy in their new spot and flower profusely.
This common orchid, the crucifix orchid,  loves its location on the back fence and has already sent out two long flower spikes.

And this white orchid is sending out new buds - the last time it flowered just a couple of months ago something ate each of the little flowers one night!  Holding thumbs.

 The ixora is loving a bit more light since I cut the madevilla back
this pink Canna is continuously flowering - the red one not so much.   In some cooler climates they die back during the winter but these soldier on all year.
 at one stage I thought the cats whiskers was getting to be too rampant and pulled it all out, I am glad it came back on its own, the sunbirds and butterflies love it.
Another flower that attract butterflies is the cosmos, and it seems to be doing well in the gardens around Australia that I sent some seeds to.

This year I remembered to plant zinnias - from the seeds I got ages ago from kebun malay kadazan girls - thank you for adding even more color to my garden.



I love lots and lots of flowers in the garden,  and will keep aiming for some shrieking reckless blooming.  How about you?

I am joining in Garden bloggers Bloom day May 15th  check there for even more lovely blooms.

19 comments:

Bernie H said...

Great colour everywhere! Love the Cat's Whiskers, and those lovely Crucifix Orchids. Let's hope whatever was munching on that gorgeous white Orchid of yours has found a new tasty treat somewhere else. Your pink Canna is just lovely too. Isn't this time of year just wonderful in the tropics?

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Balsam provide many volunteers if you let them go to seed in the tropics. Your cosmos still blooming in our garden since summer, really hardy and not need to water very much. I am happy that the zinnia blooming in your garden. Really pretty canna you have there!

Floridagirl said...

Yep, that's an awesome quote!! Your garden is shrieking out the colors, for sure.

Maureen said...

I am deafened by the noise of the colour in your garden, gorgeous....

Linda said...

Simply amazing...love those colours!

Marisa said...

What a lovely colourful collection. I really enjoyed my zinnias for the first time this year, and I am still trying to find a spot for a cats whiskers.

Rina ... also Chester or Daisysmum. said...

I got the little jars from Go low of all places for $12 a dozen, bought 5 packs of them so when you open the preserve cupboard it's going to just look so stunning ... I wish lol Check your store and let me know ours still has 8 boxes left can always send some up when we see the kids next holidays and you could pick up in Brisbane or post them to you 0487692132 Give me a bell if I can help you Lekker day Rina

Stiletto said...

I love the quote particularly the shrieking part. It most aptly described the riot of colours in your garden. Happy shrieking!

Ami said...

You have lots of lovely flowers blooming there! Really love that pink canna !

africanaussie said...

Bernie,
The cats whiskers and crucifix orchid have definitely appreciated more sunshine. I just love this time of the year - I feel more energized to get out into the garden.

africanaussie said...

Malay Kadazan,
I like plants that volunteer - I find you can pull out the ones you don't want, but if they flower I can generally find some space for them.

africanaussie said...

I am a real sucker for quotes...

africanaussie said...

Maureen,
funny :) I hope you have a great week

africanaussie said...

Linda,
the garden is looking very colorful lately.

africanaussie said...

Zinnias are so easy and great for picking - i have also been trying to grow sweet peas, but not having much luck.

africanaussie said...

Rina,
that is a great deal, but shipping is so horrible it is probably not worth shipping - thanks for offering though. I did find a site to buy new lids for old jars - might try those.

africanaussie said...

Hi Stiletto,
It does doesn't it? lovely word! Nice to find another blogger that grows the same plants as I do. I enjoyed my holiday in Malaysia and Borneo in January.

africanaussie said...

Ami,
It has become a lovely colorful area, as long as i keep cutting back to mandevilla to allow the sunshine in. That canna seems to have settled into that area quite well, the red one is not as prolific.

Plant Chaser said...

Wonderful quote and wonderful colors. The vibrancy of the colors is most apt to the quote.

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My Photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com