Saturday, April 21, 2012

Rainy day makes way for experiments in the kitchen

Today was supposed to be sunny, and I spent the morning volunteering at our local markets watching the rain drizzle down...  By afternoon it did seem to be clearing, but after I armed myself with mozzie spray and lit the mozzie coils the rain came down in earnest.
No worries mate!  I am not going to let the rain get me down!  I have had a couple of things up my sleeve that I have been wanting to try, ...
Firstly was the comfrey ointment, I had picked a few leaves and washed them and left them on the counter overnight to dry.  I placed these into the crockpot with 300ml of oil.
I kept that on low for a couple of hours - the comfrey went quite crisp, and the oil a lovely green.  I fished out the comfrey, and then added 30g of beeswax and once that was melted in, I turned off the crockpot and added a couple of drops of vitamin e and about a tsp of tea tree oil.   Then I poured the mixture into two sterilized jars and left to cool.  It should keep in the cupboard, but I think I will store them in the fridge just in case.   My hubby has a damaged tendon in his ankle and I wanted to try this to see if it would help him heal. So guess who is going to get a foot rub every evening!

Onto the next project - making pickled green ginger.  It is mostly used with Japanese dishes.  One of my followers Miyako might be able to help me with some recipes to use this up! I love looking at all her lovely Japanese dishes and flower arrangements, and her husband makes their soba noodles by hand!
Another thing I have been reading about lately is aloe vera - and not just putting it onto your skin, but drinking it!  It is supposed to be very  beneficial for diabetics, and I read that if you remove all of the latex which lies just under the skin there is no bitterness.  I carefully peeled it until there was just the clear gel left.



then I chopped it and added it to a glass of cider vinegar and water.  It was yummy - no bitterness at all.
Sometimes I am glad for the rain as it gives me a chance to get lots of other things done.

15 comments:

  1. You might have just had a great day of experimentation's! We will have to try ourselves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Clint,
      reading other's blogs is what spurs me on to try new things.

      Delete
  2. Hi my friend,
    I was happy that you introduced me and my husband's soba-noodle in this posts. Thank you very much♪
    Mainly, we have pickled ginger with Sushi here in Japan.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gari_(ginger)
    http://japanesefood.about.com/od/sushiforbeginner/r/gari.htm
    Maybe you can enjoy these pages、I hope。

    And we have aloeーyogurt, I might try your drink as well.

    Oh, your rain must be really precious and hope that your plants are happy for it♡♡♡
    Love you always, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miyako,
      You are welcome! That looks like the exact recipe I used! Do you mix the aloe with yogurt? Today there is sunshine which is better for working in the garden.

      Delete
  3. I don't have comfrey but am thinking about planting it now that I have chickens - it's supposed to be great for them. If I do grow some I might try this recipe for ointment. Finding someone to give me a massage is going to be the hard part :-)

    I have ginger but nothing like enough to pickle. Any excess I ever produce (my production still isn't going well) makes it into ginger beer.

    The Aloe drink has caught my attention. Will this work for any aloe (there must be a million varieties - 3 of which I have growing in pots and in my garden) and do you need to mix it with cider vinegar or was that your trial? I'm intrigued. Tell more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Comfrey has so many uses - definitely put in some plants! I am amazed you can grow ginger at all - but if you leave it in the ground you may get more and more each year.
      I never realized that there were different kinds of aloe vera. No I just put it with cider vinegar since it had virtually no taste. Be aware that some people are allergic to aloe vera. I just read all I could on the internet..there is a Jamaican guy that recommends whizzing it in a blender with water, I might try that next.

      Delete
  4. I'm also intriqued about the Aloe Vera, as I was wanting to add a plant to my garden.
    Heading your way for a foot rub.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aloe is another plant that has multiple uses - burns, etc. Definitely every garden should have one.

      Delete
  5. I love Aloe!!! We have several in our garden here....and you had me at ginger:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love growing things and then using them to create something else. I think only the aloe vera is edible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful, fun and productive way to enjoy a rainy day. Thank you for sharing, I love the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was so mad when it started to rain, but then really enjoyed the day that resulted.

      Delete
  8. What an amazingly productive day you had! Thanks for sharing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was great, and so glad that it ties in with this months projects.

      Delete
  9. I am interested to know how your comfrey turned out and the benefit to a sore foot?
    Thanks
    Tiffany

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com