Thursday, March 15, 2012

Garden bloggers bloom day March 15th


I presume every one of my readers is tired of hearing all about rain and the wet season, but unfortunately it still is not done!  I was doing some reading and it seems as though La Nina years means that our wet season is wetter and later in the year.  About three or four years ago I can remember everyone planting out over the Easter weekend and it was always dry and sunny by that time.  I don't see it being dry and sunny by Easter this year, but I remain hopeful.  We are having houseguests just after after Easter and I want the weather to be nice for their visit.
I ventured out into the soggy, muddy, mosquito ridden backyard to take some photos of what is in flower for this garden bloggers bloom day  -  I hope you have some repellent on, otherwise those mozzies will get you!

The variegated costus seems to be forming a halo above the bromeliad flower - doesn't it?
 Here is a detail of the bromeliad flower.   Don't you just love those purple tips, and then the tiny yellow blooms starting to peek out at the bottom?
 I am often tempted to cut the lady Di Heleonia and bring them inside, but if you leave them on the plant,  they continue to grow bigger and better, until the weight of the flower is too much and they fall to the ground. this is a triple one..
 I call this my poached egg orchid - such a pretty little thing.
 The leaves of the variegated hibiscus go more white than green in this weather, and contrast so nicely with the flowers.
Angel wing begonia stretch out such long branches at this time of year - as if they are reaching for the sky - maybe that is why they are called angel wings?  They reminded me of a saying I read the other day, I have no idea where it first came from,
"When your roots are firmly planted in the ground your branches grow closer and closer to heaven."
the cats whiskers are starting to flower - the little honey-eaters love these and they are conveniently right next to the birdbath. 
 also buds on the stephanotis are opening up, and behind that is an orchid bud - exciting!
Out in the veggie garden the jicama is flowering, but I must remember to cut off those buds so that maybe this year I can harvest some big juicy tubers.


Sometimes I get frustrated with all this rain, but then I venture outside with the camera and come back in again with a smile of my face.  So that reminds me of yet another anonymous quote
"bloom where you are planted", and I will endeavor to enjoy today and not wish my life away hoping the wet season will end soon.

22 comments:

  1. You've captured the joy of living in the Wet Tropics ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you understood it well - sort of a love/hate relationship.

      Delete
  2. La Nina has been wreaking havoc on my garden in Sydney as well. The weeds (and mossies) are loving the rain. Actually most things seem to prefer the extra water over last year’s heat wave. Except the fruit – none of the fruit trees did much of anything this year. I think they need more sun. I hope your food crops survive the wet and put on a harvest to rival the beauty of your flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh yes, the sun - how I miss that, and I am sure the plants miss it too. Such an essential for growth.

      Delete
  3. Your flowers are looking lovely. I wish you could send me just a little of your rain, my garden is totally parched!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be all or nothing around here lately. Hope you get a few drops soon.

      Delete
  4. Yet another day of great weather for ducks down here! The entire sky from east to west is shrouded in grey and the rain just keeps on bucketing down! La Nina has had such fun in our parts! Thankfully we don't get too many mozzies here in the bush. I think that has something to do with the Neem trees that grow here.

    Fantastic array of blooms today. Love the Brom bloom and your 'Poached Egg' Orchid. That's an unusual one. I must get some Cat's Whiskers. I'm always reminded of how great they look when I see your photos of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh I better look into some neem trees - less mozzies would be wonderful! I think they are rather big though :) Watching the honey eaters drink the nectar from those cats whiskers is a favourite pastime of mine!

      Delete
  5. BEAUTIFUL... I wish I could grow flowers like that where I live. We're having an early Spring with lots of rain right now, so I can understand where your coming from. The mosquitoes are already buzzing, which is unheard of in my area in March. Looks like it's going to be a wet year for many people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. April, your house looks lovely with that stream and the woods.... I guess this is better than some of the droughts of past years. At least water can be stored and used.

      Delete
  6. So many lovely blooms in your garden. Hope the mozzies didn't get you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When it does stop raining a bit I want to cut back some branches - expose their hiding places... Horrible creatures.

      Delete
  7. Love all the tropicals. Heleconia is a houseplant here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NellJean,
      dont you just love that about blogging? - we can enjoy such a variety from all around the world.

      Delete
  8. "Bloom where you are planted" is one of my favorite quotes which I keep on telling myself. Such beautiful flowers in your garden which seem to like the abundant rain and your TLC. I like the way the costus spirals as it grows, very unique.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to keep reminding myself to do that too.. that costus can be a bit of a weed, but then I look how beautiful it is and let it stay.

      Delete
  9. Wow! We grow so many of the same plants! Small world. I love that variegated Costus shot. I used to have one just like it, but it died in the drought.
    Yes, rain is such a mixed blessing. We just had 5 days of it and the plants are happy for the first time in 2 years.
    Happy GBBD!
    David/:0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,
      My variegated costus goes dormant in the dry season - watch out, with that rain it might re-appear! Happy GBBD to you too!

      Delete
  10. Dearest africanaussie,
    Wow, your flowers are SO GORGEOUS and I enjoyed all the wonderful pictures of yours♡♡♡
    You are such a talented lady!!!
    Happy to know you my new friend♬♬♬
    Love you always from Japan, xoxo Miyako*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Miyako,
      Oh you are so sweet! I am just very lucky to live where all these plants grow wild - especially when it rains like this. They love it - I dont!

      Delete
  11. Oh you've got that delicious scent from the Stephanotis to look forward to now. I love their scent but it's such a hard plant here to bring back into flower indoors as it's so picky about having a constant temperature. I never even knew there was such a thing as a variageted hisbiscus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont really notice much scent to them, but maybe in the rain it all washes away!

      Delete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com