Wednesday, December 28, 2011

All tucked in


I spent yesterday removing a ton of weeds from the veggie garden that had become quite overgrown. That is what happens in the tropics.  Then I lugged in a couple of bucket loads of mulch - that is pretty much the end of the pile now.  This should keep the weeds at bay and since the rains seem to have started everything will stay nice and moist.  There are regular mint and lemon balm in pots, spearmint in the front bricks, and a few struggling parsley and one struggling strawberry.  Basil, tropical coriander, and mother of herbs doing ok.

 This is the view of the veggie garden from the very back corner. This middle bed has a few pawpaw, a struggling yakon (got some little white bugs, so I cut it right back)   A couple of good eggplant, winged beans, chinese long beans, and few rosella, a few pigeon pea, a cape gooseberry, onions, spring onions and garlic chives.  The bed to the right has asparagus, mushroom plant, Galangal, lemongrass and turmeric.


 The bed against the fence has ginger, jicama and sweet potato.
A plant that a neighbor gave me at the end of last wet season has risen from dormancy.  (I told her it was just going dormant but she was convinced she had killed it)  Doesn't it have pretty flowers?
The calathea is settling in and sending out new pink backed leaves.
So that is it! I am off on my holiday and the garden is on its own.  I am interested to see just how much growth happens in three weeks in the wet season.

11 comments:

  1. This is completely off-topic but I wanted to let you know that I made the ginger beer using 800g of sugar rather than the 1kg mentioned in the recipe. The end result has been drunk and is absolutely perfect. Thank you for your comment about the sugar otherwise I would never have considered reducing the amount.

    Have a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You do have everything tucked in! What beautiful plants.
    I must know...what it the name of that Curcuma ginger? It's absolutely stunning.
    Wish I could grow calatheas outdoors but it's too cold in Houston. I used to have 8 varieties and I loved having them.
    david/:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That orange flower is absolutely lovely - to think it was considered to be dead!
    It's weird to think that just as your garden in facing the wet season, mine is facing the dry.
    Have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy you your vegetable garden. I'm just starting to get my hands into vegetables. For the longest time it was just herbs for me.

    Enjoy your holidays! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your garden is looking great. Have a fantastic holiday and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. you have lovely tropical flowers plants of which I have to admit not knowing the names! how lucky you are to have year round such lovely color in your garden1
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden looks all set to be left alone for a while. I'm sure you will find it very lush when you return.

    Happy new year and enjoy your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi oganisedcastle,
    great - glad that helped
    David,
    I am not one for remembering latin names, but I am pretty sure it is
    Curcuma Rosecoena (Pride of Burma)
    Gippslandgardener,
    The thing is that I often forget about plants lying dormant - should put a sign there I suppose :)
    Bom,
    Good luck with your vegetables, I am learning to grow what grows best in this area, sometimes you have to acquire the taste...
    Veggiegobbler,
    thanks, and congratulations on your avocados
    Ronnelle,
    We are very lucky to live in this tropical climate
    Solitude rising,
    yes everything has fared very well, I am getting ready to post some updated photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello - this looks great - we are not quite tropical but we do have winter weeds that I need to tackle - and mulch too! I hope you're doing well - will keep your family in my prayers -
    Hugs,
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I envy you your lovely veggie garden! You really are talented.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gillian, I've awarded you a Leibster Blog Award as one of my favourite bloggers (details on my blog).
    Hope to see you back soon after your holiday.

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com