Monday, July 4, 2011

Blogaversary 2 on July 5th

My first blogaversary occurred when I was visiting my daughters in New York.   While it is the 5th here it is the 4th there, July 4th is American Independence day and so I was sitting with millions of others along the banks of the Hudson River watching fireworks.   Actually it was only months later that I realized I had missed my blogaversary!  To all the Americans out there - Happy July 4th, and may your day be filled with blueberries, strawberries and ice cream, and of course happy time spent with your loved ones.
This is what I started with two years ago..........  a big lychee tree and lots of grass, which I immediately starting working on..
 The other side was a nice sunny area for my proposed vegetable patch.

 For ideas I had been browsing the web and found these things called blogs. Wow!  like an online gardening diary,  I thought.  If I did something like that I could also follow my gardens progress and anticipate when something would next be flowering, or see how fast something had grown (or how slow).
 I thought that since all my newsletters to friends and family around the world were filled with gardening stories and photos, this might relieve some of them of the duty of reading all about my garden if they did not want to. I had got some comments such as "OK I see how your garden is doing, but how about you? Out there in that foreign land".  Maybe my newsletters had to get more personal and the garden info had to move to a blog.  It was a total learning experience, but Blogger led me through step by step until Africanaussie blogspot was born on July 5th 2009.
 Now two years later, I can compare the same area and see the difference side by side.



 Then other gardeners started following me, and I started following others, and pretty soon there was this whole little Africanaussie community. It was like having gardening friends popping around for tea every day.  What fun!

    I wanted to keep my gardening blog separate but thought that a blog might also be a good place to sort my recipes and so my recipe blog was formed....http://africanaussie-recipes.blogspot.com/
Then I made a  duvet cover with some fabric I bought in New York with my daughter and instead of just e-mailing her a photo - voila! my craft blog was born.......http://africanaussiecrafts.blogspot.com/
So many visitors to our beautiful part of the world wanted to know what to do once they got here, that I thought, oh gosh! why not a blog to showcase the wonderful area around where we live, and so yet another blog was formed.....http://explorethetropics.blogspot.com/
Then I decided to add an amazon search box.....any time you want to buy something from amazon and you start the search from my blog I will get credit.   Any credit is used to send presents to my daughters from their far away mother, and they thank you in advance. 
Who would have known how that one little decision to start a blog would have snowballed like this?
This time I  want to make sure that I properly thank all my loyal readers.  You have added a new dimension to my gardening.  You keep me going; to pull up that last weed, or make that nice curvy edge. 
 I love the compliments, suggestions and advice.  When I am in a quandary as to which way to go on something and I put out a question I get suggestions that I wouldn't have thought of on my own.   I enjoy reading what other bloggers are doing and have taken suggestions, ideas and advice from all over the world.  I have a long list of things I would love to do but really don't have the room.  My water feature has to be the inside of a bromeliad.

My permaculture vegetables encroach up into the neighbors tree
So......... a giveaway, but I don't really want to make it a competition, since I would like to to give each one of you a present.  My yellow cosmos that attracts so many butterflies is going to seed,


 and so if you e-mail your name and address to vemvaan@gmail.com I will send you a packet of seeds in response. Each seed is guaranteed to have been kissed by a butterfly, and I cant wait to see all the butterfly photos that are going to start appearing on everyone's blog.
Unfortunately since we can't send seeds overseas this is only available to my Australian readers, but if you would like the excel template for making these cute little seed packages, just let me know and I can e-mail it to you. You can personalize them with your very own photo and they fold together in a flash.  I think they are rather nice don't you?


 To all my loyal followers and avid supporters, I would like to send a very big thank you for making my gardening adventure such a joy!

26 comments:

  1. Congratulations on 2 years of blogging. I enjoy your posts immensely so (selfishly) I hope you continue for many years to come.

    Your garden has really progressed over the past two years. It's great to look back and see how much it's changed.

    Thank you for sharing you yellow cosmos too. I will take you up on the offer if I may. I would love my butterlies in the garden, but I don't expect to see the brilliant beauties from the tropics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy, happy blogversary! That's for both of the milestones. I have so enjoyed your posts ever since I stumbled on your blog over at Blotanical. It's fantastic having another blogger fairly close who knows about the plants and conditions here.

    You've made such a fantastic difference to your place. Your garden is a such a peaceful lush haven now, a vast improvement on what it was. I'm looking forward to many more years of your gardening insights and photos.

    I would love to take you up on your offer of Cosmos seeds. After that one plant sprung up following the cyclone I've been thinking about adding some more Cosmos, so this would be an opportunity I can't miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations! Amazing what hard work and enthusiasm can achieve. Your garden is looking lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have worked a miracle in your garden! I had no idea you'd only started it two years ago! Wow! Your green fingers are even greener than I'd suspected :)

    Happy 2nd Blogiversary!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy blogversary! Do you celebrate just your first or for each one? ;-P

    Whatever the case, I congratulate on your move into blogging and having lasted 2 years so far. May you have many more years of wonderful posts, updates and pictures. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Blog Anniversary. I think I would like to plant some yellow cosmos in our garden come spring. I have been daydreaming of beautiful butterfly that visit your garden to visit ours too. The only butterfly visiting us are the cabbage white butterfly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on your blogaversary! Two years already, where does the time go? I know just what you mean about writing to friends and family and finding myself going on and on about flowers and rocks while they must be sitting there yawning and shaking their heads when they read it. Blogs are great ways to share our interests with other like-minded people.

    Love your before and after photos, too, so much progress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your 2nd year anniversay of blogging. Time flies fast when you're enjoying what you're doing.

    Isn't it great that you have a way of looking back and see the changes that have happened through the years? That is also my main for creating my blog.

    Wishing you many more years of blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Blogversary - and many more. I'm a recent follower but I love checking your site out daily. Our conditions are very different but the struggles and rewards are pretty much the same.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Missy,
    Thank you, am posting the seeds this week, and I hope they bring you much joy and lots of butterflies.
    Bernie,
    Yes I enjoy following your posts as well although you still grow things I cant! I haven't got your address in my e-mail yet, can you check it went through?
    Garden girl,
    I think the garden gives back as much as you give out.
    Desiree,
    well it helps that I live in the tropics where things grow fast!
    My fingers are green from the mold probably!
    Bom,
    Oh I would think you celebrate every anniversary!
    Maly Kadazan,
    your seeds are going out this week. I haven't noticed the cabbage moths after these cosmos started to flower - who knows they might drive them away, wouldn't that be marvelous? I could become a millionaire.
    Karen,
    Yes I know that in my blog post I can go on and on about compost and have an interested listener :)
    Solitude rising,
    Yes I doubt my garden would look the same without all the advice, support and ideas I get from other bloggers.
    Laura,
    thank you, and your seeds are also going out this week.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Blogaversary! It's really wonderful to see how much you've accomplished in your garden in the past two years. -Jean

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post, well done, only just stumbled up your blog today. Love the second image with the sky ominously pregnant with black clouds.
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jean,
    thank you
    Mereweather,
    Welcome, I went and looked at your site - and love all those tree ferns. I walked in a tree fern forest in New Zealand once - magic! I only have room for one or two in my small garden. Yes that photo was taken in the wet season when it is either raining, or gearing up to rain lol.

    ReplyDelete
  14. what a lovely lovely post...from the start of a garden to the kissed cosmos!! I'm going right out to my garden now, with a coffee, for a stroll and just enjoy. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Ronelle
    PS...happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a lovely lovely post...from the start of a garden to the kissed cosmos!! I'm going right out to my garden now, with a coffee, for a stroll and just enjoy. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Ronelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. More celebrations all year round then. :-D

    ReplyDelete
  17. Myfrenchkitchen,
    thanks for the lovely comment, I don't think there is anything quite so enjoyable as to wander through the garden with a nice cup of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww we love visiting you too! Congrats on 2 years!

    That lychee tree looks enormous, what are lychee flowers like? I love the fresh fruit they provide.

    ReplyDelete
  19. aloha african aussie,

    congrats on your 2nd....its great seeing the changes to your garden - i always look forward to your wonderful insight especially in the sub tropical zone.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You have done an amazing job with your yard and gardens, what an incredible transformation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mrs Bok,
    we are right on the verge of being able to grow lychees and last year only got a half a dozen fruit. The flowers are small and white.
    Noel,
    I love seeing what you grow in Hawaii, everything seems so big and colorful!
    Mr H,
    I have enjoyed it every step of the way, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hooray, my flower seeds arrived in the post. Now I have to practice that most important gardener trait - patience (which is not something I have in abundance). I want to race out and plant the seeds but I'm making myself wait until spring.

    Thank you so much. I'll let you know when the butterflies thank you as well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi there!
    Happy Blogaversary! You have a beautiful tropical garden. I'm a schoolteacher/gardener so it's during this month I get to go around the world and visit new gardens. I love yours and your idea to send seeds. How creative!
    I hope to stop by more often in this next year.
    David/ Tropical Texana/ Houston
    BTW: I LOVE your QUOTES and they really meant a lot to me as I read them. We definitely share that aspect of gardening. Thanks for inspiration. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy belated blogaversary!
    A big progress in your garden! It looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Today was the day. The cosmos seeds you sent me went in the ground with loads of TLC and high expectations. Watch this space, I'll let you know if they actually grow and, hopefully, attract butterflies.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I wanted to send you an update. The cosmos you sent me are up and bloomin'. Thanks again and happy gardening.

    Check out my flowers! http://laurarittenhouse.wordpress.com/2012/01/09/cosmos-anyone/

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com