Thursday, May 20, 2010

Writing workshop update

Writing is something I think I have always done.  Ok, not every day, but most of my life I have had a book in the back of my mind and work on it occasionally.   I did live a very interesting life sailing around the world, and so this was a type of memoir/instruction book.  It would change from time to time, and I did at times submit it in various forms for publication.  On occasion to get some money into the bank, I would write articles and some of those were purchased and published in magazines, but always my dream was to publish a book.  Always the same book.
Now with this writing workshop I am writing something totally different.  A work of fiction.  The instructions were to write a series of short stories, but they have been following the outline submitted, and are integrating and building a life of their own.   I do like the idea of using google docs, and initially formed a document for each deadline, that was a great place to keep my work, easily accesible where ever I was as long as I had access to the internet.   I liked the idea that my work was to to be kept that - just for my eyes.  I havnt done so well at keeping up with posting about the exercises, although I have been writing pretty consistently, maybe even more than I had first scheduled although I realise that might slow down as I will be going travelling soon. 
My stories have evolved and changed slightly - one of the protaganists actually moves to another country and continues on with the story there.  Another one turned out to be a man!   Since this is a work of fiction, and is my story, I have allowed that to happen.  In the past I think my writing has maybe been too restrictive.  I like what I am writing.  Even though there is supposed to be one story a week, I have ventured into each of the other two stories in this section, simply to write down ideas and notes as to where they will intertwine and connect.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're getting a lot out of the workshop so far! Excellent! And good idea to go ahead and put down thoughts and ideas for the other stories if they come to you. If I don't do that I'll forget them forever! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, last week was better than this week I dont know why!

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com