Thursday, May 13, 2010

Creative writing - being observant

I am not so sure that I am a very good student!   We got three photos this week and were told to think of words that these images brought up.  My first thought was, gosh what a waste of time, I want to be writing, not thinking up words and images that have nothing to do with this wonderful story I am creating.  I kept being drawn back to those images and would jot down words as they appeared, rather lacksadasically I must add.
Then a strange thing happened.... my weekly story began to flow, gosh, one day I spent a whole three hours writing (even went on to the next one).  Merillee do you know something I dont? (Of course you do, that is why you are the teacher!)  Were you right to send us those images to get words floating around?  How can totally unassociated images make my stories flow better?  (suffice to say, I bow to the process and will continue to do the exercises put forward, whether I think they are silly or not! )
I once read a statement "If you want to write........read"  If you are reading, I thought, you wont be writing, but I can see the logic  now.  Busier people actually achieve more, and the more we are exposing our brains to different images and words and thoughts, they are going to start to flow, like a waterfall, straight onto the page! I have been sent a book to read and review - I am lucky to get these very so often from one of the Australian publishing companies.  Gosh I dont have time for this right now I thought, (although it looks like a very interesting book)  and then that statement came to my mind.  I will make time for reading and observing, as the more we writers expose ourselves to ideas and other words, the richer our own writing will be.
I bow to you Merrillee.

5 comments:

  1. I really want to start reading more as well! I also think the same thing though - why read when I can write!? I know how wrong the statement is, but it's hard to retrain the brain, isn't it?

    it's also hard to find time to add it in the schedule with everything else. I may pick up a book soon. If not, I pledge to once this workshop is over! :) (I'll use workshop hours for it ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree that busier people are more productive. It's a strange near-contradiction. When I have the whole day to myself, to do nothing but write, I spend most of it procrastinating. But a day like today, with a full day of work plus some pressing home chores to do, and I've written two scenes already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It all has to do with brain activity, which is a terribly logical and scientific answer, but it's true. When your brain is working, you have a lot of activity going on, and it spills over into everything. If your brain isn't being active, you really have to work harder to get the ideas flowing.

    Simple solution - daydream a lot! Keep the brain alert and ready to go when you need it :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don’t know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.

    Alena

    http://dataentryjob-s.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is my problem too! Not only did I stop writing but I stopped generating idea and reading fiction. Ugh! My brain must be a slug right now.

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com