Monday, December 21, 2009

Costus with its delicate white flowers

This tropical plant called costus really comes into its own during the wet season.  I have often seen the most beautiful flowers and then taken a slip home, plunked it into the ground and then months later when the plant comes up I am not sure what kind of flower it will have.  I am hoping this green leaved one will have a red flower, but cant really remember where I got the original plant from. 
This variegated one I orginally started simply for the leaves and the lovely red stems.


 The delicate petalled flowers are an added bonus.  The flower head forms at the top of each stem. 

Each individual "flower" only lasts a day or two.

such a lovely delicate flower.......so glad I planted these.

3 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I found your blog on Blotanical. May I wish you a belated "Welcome".

    The flower of the Costus is very beautiful. I love the ragged edges of the flower and the variegated leaves. I look forward to reading your future posts. We grow many plants native to Australia where I love. My favorite are the Eremophilas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely garden you have. I am glad you shared the photos of the costus with us. It is truly a lovely plant in form and foliage. I also found you through blotanical and hope to see more of your posts in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello

    That flower is just stunning - never seen the likes of that before. I love the edges to the petals. I've never come across that plant in the UK.

    ReplyDelete

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com