Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Butterfly on your shoulder

I was reading a post from a fellow blogger sanddune  who has a similar climate to mine - he lives in the tropics in Florida USA.  He was talking about butterflies and how difficult they are to capture on film.
It reminded me of one of my favourite poems - my younger daughter gave me this card on my 50th birthday.  She drew each of these butterflies from botanical drawings - I love the care and attention to detail.


I have posted the full poem in the right hand sidebar.
 She and my older daughter clubbed together and gave me a lovely diamond ring and it is so nice to have that with me all the time.  Soon after that I left the country and have been living in Australia for four years.  I love my husband and my new family dearly, but always at this time of year I feel a little sadness creep in that I am not physically living near my daughters.  I treasure these little reminders of their love. This blog started out from the monthly flower photos I used to share with them.  One magical visit when they both visited we went to the nearby butterfly sanctuary where thousands of butterflies flit around and land on your head, your shoulders and your arms.






 I hope and pray that my two lovely daughters always find butterflies lighting on their shoulders.......

8 comments:

  1. Being a mom myself, I can relate to you. Let me quote you this which I found from the net recently and which I think is very meaningful, though quite similar to what your daughter has specially dedicated to you:

    "May the wings of the butterfly kiss the sun
    And find your shoulder to light on,
    To bring you luck, happiness and riches
    Today, tomorrow and beyond.
    ~Irish Blessing

    Have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely autumnbelle thanks for sharing! The Irish sure have a way with words - I always wanted to have a "wall of blessings" saw one in a country kitchen once! Best wishes to you for a wonderful christmas as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! How cool are thos pics, wonderful.
    Merry Christmas.

    jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics are awesome. I'm sure that your daughters share your feelings. Although it does not fit into this topic I originally wanted to leave you a link to a very useful website called plantthis.com.au. I found it by chance and as a regular reader of your blog it directly came to my mind that you should have a look at it. There is a very helpful so-called plant selector helping you to find the right plants for your garden and some nice pictures and videos as well. Hope you have time to have a look at it during the holidays.
    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Africanaussie,
    That's the best collection of butterflies I've run across yet.Extremely rare and very precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks sanddune, yes, anything made with love has an extra dimension to it!
    Hi Ann thanks for that link - it does seem to have lots of useful information and I have bookmarked it for future reference.
    Thanks too Jim, and a merry Christmas to all of you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to think of butterflies as little messengers of love from those from whom we're separated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nell Jean,
    yes my thoughts exactly.

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Blog Archive

About Me

My Photo
e-mail me at vemvaan@gmail.com